Eat your vegetables
This hearty vegetable soup is colorful, vibrant and flavorful. Perfect for lunch or dinner and a definite feel-good on a rainy day. I was inspired by my friend Dalia’s delicious soup and here is my version.
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 leeks, chopped
3-4 large carrots, chopped
3-4 celery stalks, chopped
6-8 garlic cloves, minced
10 oz of fresh spinach (can substitute kale, swiss chard)
8 cups vegetable or chicken broth (I use low sodium and season with salt and pepper towards the end)
1 1/2 cups of water
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 (15 oz ) can chickpeas, drained
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, with liquid
fresh basil, chopped (approx 1.5 tbsp) (sub with dried basil 1 tbsp)
fresh oregano , chopped (approx 1.5 tbsp) (sub with dried oregano 1tbsp)
fresh thyme leaves, chopped (approx 1.5 tbsp) (sub with dried thyme leaves 1 tbsp)
salt, pepper to taste (quantity will depend on how salty either your vegetable or chicken broth is. I use low sodium and then season this soup to taste)
- heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat and cook leeks and onions until soft, 10 minutes
2. add in carrots, celery, herbs and garlic, and stir it all together, cook for about 2 minutes.
3. add in diced tomatoes (and their juices), soup broth, water and wine, bring to a boil and then turn it down to medium low (10 minutes)
4. add in fresh greens and chickpeas (kale, swiss chard, spinach; below I used kale and spinach), continue to let simmer, uncovered for at least 30 minutes.
5. Season with salt and pepper. Enjoy as is or add pasta and or grated parmesan.