Greatest yogurt dip ever, opa!
Since actual physical travel to Greece (or anywhere) at this time is not possible, make this fantastic yogurt dip in your kitchen, serve with pita, flatbreads, and/or salad. Kick back, close your eyes and imagine you are on the beach in Mykonos. Some Ouzo may help.
- 3 Persian cucumbers (or 1 large one), grated
- salt (for the cucumbers and then to adjust seasoning at the end)
- 2 cups yogurt (I have used full-fat, low-fat, and non-fat Greek yogurt)
- 2 large garlic cloves, mashed with a 1/2 tsp salt in a mortar and pestle
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint (optional)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground pepper
- lemon (optional)
- grate the cucumbers, toss with salt and set it in a strainer for 15-20 minutes. Rinse and drain them, squeeze out excess moisture with a paper towel.
- Once your garlic and salt have been mashed in the mortar and pestle, mix together the yogurt, garlic, salt, mint, pepper and olive oil. Then add in the grated cucumbers. Adjust seasonings to taste. You can also add in a splash of lemon if desired.
- Enjoy! Serve with Greek salad, pita, flatbreads, veggies. You can serve it with any grilled or roasted protein.