a veg version of the classic Lebanese dish
Arayes are typically prepared by stuffing raw spiced lamb or beef into pitas and then grilling them. Adeena Sussman’s vegetarian version, using mushrooms, onion, garlic, herbs, and seasoning creates a super flavorful and juicy stuffed pita. When paired with a lemony yogurt sauce, the texture and taste will make your mouth water.
- 1 lb mushrooms (I use a medley of shitake, oyster, and baby bella. The original recipe calls for 2 lbs of trimmed button mushrooms).
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, more for brushing pitas
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley and/or cilantro (I use a combo of the two for enhanced flavor)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 8-10 mini pitas or 6 larger ones (I used larger ones)
- 1 cup full fat greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh herbs of your choice (I use parsley, cilantro)
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- In the bowl of a food processor pulse the mushrooms coarsely.
- Add the onion, garlic, olive oil, parsley, cilantro, cumin, salt, paprika, and pepper. A few quick pulses of the food processor to get it all mixed together.
- Open the pitas with a knife, but leave them connected at one end. Divide the filling evenly among the pitas. Press down on the pitas so the filling and pitas adhere to each other.
- Pre-heat the grill to medium heat.
- Prepare the yogurt sauce by whisking together the yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, herbs, and salt. Keep chilled until ready to use.
- Brush the outsides of the pitas with olive oil and then grill the arayes until each side is charred and the mushroom filling is hot, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Slice the arayes in half and serve with the chilled yogurt sauce. Enjoy!