filo wrapped marinated chicken and roasted sliced potatoes
Sami Tamimi’s chicken shawarma pie, from his amazing new cookbook Falastin, is some next-level middle eastern cooking. Besides being beautiful to look at, the different flavors in this dish work together magically. Whether you’re entertaining guests or feeding your family, this chicken shawarma pie is certain to leave a memorable impression. Below is my version, which I prepare dairy free.
- 2 lbs boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- 11/2 tbsp peeled and finely grated ginger
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 6 tbsp olive oil, additional for filo sheets
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 russet potatoes (about 1 lb) unpeeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp chicken or veggie stock
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- filo 8 sheets
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp chile flakes
- 3 tbsp tahini paste
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- juice of 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp water
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
chicken and potato prep
- Put the chicken in a large bowl with the garlic, ginger, ground spices, 1 tbsp of olive oil, apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp kosher salt, and a few grinds of black pepper. Mix it up to combine and let it marinate for 30 minutes (or you can put it in the fridge overnight).
- Preheat oven to 400℉. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the sliced potatoes with 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil, 3/4 tsp kosher salt and a couple of grinds of black pepper. Spread the slices out on the baking sheet making sure to space them out so they are not overlapping. Bake for 20 minutes, then turn the oven up to 450℉. Remove the sheet pan and flip the potatoes over. Put them back in the oven for another 10 minutes, until golden. Remove from oven and set aside until needed.
- Drop the oven temp back to 400℉.
- Put 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil in a large sauté pan and place over medium-high heat.
- Add in the sliced onion and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add in the chicken to the onions and cook for 10 minutes (flip once halfway through).
- Add the chicken or veggie stock, 1/4 tsp kosher salt, and a couple of grinds of black pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then turn the heat down to medium. Simmer gently for 25 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and continue to cook the chicken for another 8 minutes, thickening and reducing the liquid in the pan.
- Remove from heat and let it sit for 10 minutes. Using two forks, shred the chicken into large chunks.
- Stir in the chopped parsley and cilantro.
- Combine all ingredients listed under tahini sauce above and whisk together until smooth.
filo pie assembly
- Place 4 tbsp of olive oil in a bowl and prepare a pastry or basting brush.
- Cut a circular piece of parchment paper to line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Grease the sides of the pan with olive oil.
- Lay a sheet of filo dough out on a flat surface and brush with olive oil. Transfer this sheet to the pan so that the base is covered and the filo comes up over the pan’s sides.
- Repeat with the next sheet of filo, brushing it first with olive oil, then arranging it in the pan. Make sure you rotate it slightly so that the excess hangs at a different angle. Continue this process for 6 layers total (and make sure the base and sides are all covered).
- Add the potato slices, making them overlap slightly so that the base of the pie is covered.
- Top the layer of potatoes with the chicken and herbs. Gently push down on the chicken to even it out.
- Spoon the tahini sauce over the chicken and gently spread it over the chicken.
- Brush another piece of filo dough with olive oil and fold it in half horizontally (like a book). Place this over the tahini layer and tuck it in around the filo. Brush it with olive oil. Then repeat this step with another piece of filo and tuck it in to cover any exposed areas.
- Next, take the overhanging layers of filo and bring them to the top, making a nice crumpled-looking layer effect at the top. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds and chile flakes.
- Place the springform pan on a baking sheet and bake for an hour or until deeply golden.
- Let it cool for 15 minutes before removing it from the pan.
- Enjoy with a beautiful salad!