classic and simple comfort food
We were lucky enough to have recently visited Cape Cod, a place known for its beautiful sea shore, luscious hydrangeas, and outstanding seafood. No better place than there to enjoy some delicious New England fish. I love the simplicity of baked haddock (also known locally as scrod, it’s in the cod family but in my opinion a cut above). It’s hard to find an easier dinner to prepare. This classic dish involves 3 to 4 minutes of prep, 20 minutes of baking, and only 3 main ingredients. Served with fresh lemon and parsley, this comforting dish will quickly become a favorite if it isn’t already one.
- 11/2 lbs haddock, patted dry with skin removed
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 8 tbsp butter
- 1-2 lemons
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Kosher salt, pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- Melt 2 tbsp of the butter in a baking dish while the oven heats up.
- Melt the remaining 6 tbsp of butter and mix it with the breadcrumbs.
- Season the haddock liberally with kosher salt and pepper ( both sides of the fish) and place it in the buttered baking dish.
- Spread the breadcrumbs evenly onto the fish.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes ( or until fish is done and flakes easily).
- Drizzle with a generous amount of fresh lemon juice ( about 1 lemon) and sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley. Serve with lemon wedges.
- As always, enjoy!