a rainbow sheet-pan meal served over farro or orzo
Treat yourself to a colorful and delicious dish of creamy and tangy warm feta, just crisp-enough broccolini, flavor bombs of roasted grape tomatoes, onion, and lemon. This simple sheet-pan vegetarian beautiful dish was inspired by Yasmin Fahr’s recipe on the New York Times Cooking’s insta yesterday. It is super tasty and provides some serious eye candy!
- 1 bunch of broccolini, ends trimmed; trim the thicker stalks and split lengthwise.
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 red onion, peeled, quartered, and cut into 2-inch wedges
- 1 lemon – 1/2 of it cut into thin rounds and the other 1/2 for serving
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for serving
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1 block of feta (6-8 oz) cut into 1-inch slices (the original version calls for 2 blocks of feta but I felt one was sufficient)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped for serving (optional)
- Cooked orzo or farro, for serving
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F and place a rack in lower third of oven.
- In a large bowl, combine the broccolini, grape tomatoes, onion, and lemon slices with the olive oil and gently stir to coat.
3. Add in the cumin, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper (to taste).
4. Spread the veggies out on to a sheet pan and then nestle the sliced feta into the veggies. No worries if the feta breaks apart slightly.
5. Roast for 15-20 minutes, giving the veggies a quick stir halfway through, being careful not to disturb the feta. It is ready when the broccolini is charred at the tips, and the tomato skins start to blister and break down.
6. Serve over orzo or Farro, drizzle with olive oil and top with freshly chopped basil.